Asthma, Allergy and Immunology Research Group
Asthma, Allergy and Immunology Research Center
Asthma, Allergy and Immunology Research Center was founded in the summer of 2010 by Dr. Mohammad Fereidouni, allergist/immunologist and faculty member of the University, in collaboration with a group of students interested in research activities. The main objective of this center is to conduct applied researches on asthma, immunology and allergy in Southern Khorasan Province; accordingly, the research priorities of the center are as follows:
1. Epidemiological study of allergic diseases including asthma, allergic rhinitis, allergic conjunctivitis, atopic dermatitis, and food and drug allergies in Birjand population as a model for the whole country;
2. Determination of risk factors and identification of the main food and inhaled allergens in the region;
3. Evaluation of the incidence of immune-related diseases, including autoimmune disorders and various types of immunodeficiency in Southern Khorasan Province; and
4. Study of the main causes of drug allergies and the predisposing factors.
Several research projects have been conducted in this center internally or in collaboration with other research centers across Iran. In addition, being equipped with Burkard pollen collector device, this center has launched the first pollen count center in the region and is evaluating the most common allergens in the region and their seasonal variations. The Asthma, Allergy and Immunology Research Center welcomes cooperation with other national and international research centers as well as independent researchers and supports research projects associated with allergic and immunological disorders. This center is also prepared to award short-term research grants to international students and researchers. For more information on ways to cooperate and the conditions for receiving grants, please contact the director of the center via email.
Introduction of the Director:
Dr. Mohammad Fereidouni (MD, PhD) is the associate Professor of immunology and allergy at Birjand University of Medical Sciences. After obtaining a PhD in Medical Immunology from Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, taking a sabbatical at the Department of Allergy and Immunology of Murdoch Children’s Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia, and passing a research Fellowship course at ENT Department of the Academic Medical Center of Amsterdam, he began his activities in Birjand University of Medical Sciences in 2009. In addition to teaching responsibilities at university, Dr. Fereidouni is the director of the Allergy and Immunology Clinic of Imam Reza Hospital, affiliated with Birjand University of Medical Sciences, which is the referral center for allergic diseases and immunodeficiency. Dr. Fereidouni has successfully completed his post-doctoral courses at Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA., and is currently the head of Molecular Medicine department and supervising several M.Sc. and PhD students and conducting multiple research projects in the field of allergy and immunology.
Other Members of the Center:
1. Dr. Mohammad Mofatteh – ENT specialist
2. Dr. Saeid Asghari - ENT specialist
3. Ms. Elham Atabati – Rheumatologist
4. Dr Saeed Naseri – PhD of cellular biology
5. Dr Zahra Asghari – General practitioner
6. Ms. Roya Mahdi – M.Sc. in immunology
7. Ms. Maryam Mousavi, PhD candidate in molecular medicine
8. Mr. Mohammad Sadegh Naghizadeh - M.Sc. student of immunology
9. Ms. Neda Mahavar Apr - M.Sc. student of immunology
10. Mr. Afshin Derakhsahni - M.Sc. student of immunology